The following links are to sites of interest to walkers, including some
general information such as timetables and maps which may be of use when
planning where to walk. If you come across any sites which you think should
be included, please email the URL(s) to the Publicity
Secretary and they will considered for inclusion.
- General walking information
- Milton Keynes and other local sites
- Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues
- Useful information
- Walking holidays
- The Ramblers
- News on current issues and national campaigns with which the
association is involved; list of publications with an order form;
full text of fact sheets available online, covering such diverse
subjects as rambling for disabled people, advice on Lyme Disease
and ticks, equipment and safety on walks; an introduction to some
of the long distance paths; basic information for visitors to Britain,
including where to stay, maps to get and a useful list of contacts;
form to join online; information on events and links to local groups
with an online presence.
for Health in MK
- The local ‘Walking for Health’ scheme in Milton
Keynes offers a wide variety of free, volunteer led, social walks.
They take place over flat land and through the hidden or well known
local parks and open spaces in Milton Keynes. The Health Walks vary
from 1 to 5 miles in the form of short, medium and long walks, to
suit all ability levels, and each walk ends with a social gathering
for a soft drink. Walks are available every day of the week. They
take place in different areas during the daytime on a weekly basis.
All adults are welcome to join the groups any time of year.
- Rambling, Hiking, Walking, Outdoor Clubs and Shops together with submitted Walking Holidays and Accommodation.
- Information on LDWA aims, activities and membership; links to
local groups with websites or email (each local group has its own
web site with its programme, contacts and other information); programme
of challenge events; information on The Hillwalkers Register, including
how to claim an entry, and references to books on hillwalking; links
to other hill-walking sites.
- Information on events, trails, member clubs, the IVV and an
online version of Footprint, the BWF magazine.
- List of hostels searchable by region - gives prices, pictures
and other details.
- Information on conservation work, archaeology, national monuments,
time trails and more.
- Searchable index and detailed information on National Trust
properties; NT holidays.
- Information on the work of the CPRE (Council for the Protection
of Rural England); links to local groups, catalogue of publications.
- Excellent information on national trails, areas of outstanding
Greenways, national parks, quiet roads, rights of way.
- Information on climbing and hillwalking.
- Features walks in mountains and national parks of Britain, including
photos, descriptions of 50 walks, information and links to other
- An excellent site with detailed instructions, including maps
and photos, for walks all around Britain. The walks database is
still being developed and people are invited to subscribe (free
at present) and contribute their own walks.
The Hills of Great Britain and Ireland
- Searchable index of hills and mountains, giving height,
map number and grid reference.
Where's the path
- A very useful website that displays two linked screens showing
the 1:50000 OS Map and the latest Google aerial photo with a pointer
on each so that a path on the map can be followed on the photograph.
Very useful for sorting out tricky navigational points that arise
on a recce when the map does not seem to match what you can see.
Particularly useful around new roads and woods, which in the MK
area are prone to changing faster than OS can update its mapping.
- Lots of information and photos of the mountains of Britain,
including the author, Ann Bowker's personal expeditions.
- Covers all sorts of outdoor activities with links to useful
sites connected with walking, walking holidays in the UK and other
parts of the world.
- We think walking in and around town can be a smart choice. No
timetables to keep to, no journey delays, no overcrowding, healthy,
green, free, direct, access to services (and sunlight!) en route.
- General information on Country side issues with a link to a
useful outline of the Countryside and Rights of Way (CROW)
Best Walks in Buckinghamshire
- Many of these walks were previously published in the book "Best
Walks in Buckinghamshire by Bus and Train", edited by Barry Totterdell.
- A very good local site with news, entertainment, what's on,
jobs, travel, shopping, map of MK and discussion forum. Our walks
are advertised in the What's On column along with other walks in
MK. Recently added is a section on
- Online version of the Milton Keynes Citizen newspaper. Covers
local and national news with a news and sports archive, jobs, property,
maps, local businesses, what's on and plenty more.
The Chiltern Society
- Information on the society which exists to preserve the beauty
and character of the Chiltern Hills; calendar of events, including
walks; links to other Chilterns sites.
- Local information. This site is produced by Sammy Jones of
MK Citizen Go! magazine fame.
- Definitive Maps
- Use this site to view the definitive map and establish which local authority is
responsible for the location you wish to report.
- Milton Keynes
- MK Rights of Way: Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues in Milton Keynes.
Their interactive map shows the area covered by this authority but does not allow direct reporting. From link tick the 'Rights of Way' box, zoom in and click on the relevant path.
Please report any Rights of Way issues via their
website [please indicate it's a 'rights of way' report], by e-mail to email@example.com or by calling 01908 252570
- Transport for Bucks
- Transport for Bucks: Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues in Buckinhamshire. Their interactive map shows the area covered by this authority and allows the location to be identified and the issue to be reported.
- Street Doctor - Northants
- Street Doctor - Northants: Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues in Northamptonshire.
- Bedford: Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues in Bedford area.
- Central Bedfordshire
- Central Bedfordshire: Reporting 'Rights of Way' issues in Central Bedfordshire area. Their interactive map shows the area covered by this authority. From link choose "My Maps" tab, tick the 'Rights of Way' box, zoom in and click on the relevant path.
- Environment Agency
- Environment Agency: Reporting an environmental damage or pollution incident.
Incident hotline: 0800 80 70 60
- Railtrack train timetables.
- European rail timetables.
- RAC traffic information.
- National Express coach timetables; links to European coach companies.
and Bing (Multimap)
- Maps of UK with facility to zoom in to individual street level.
Streetmap also has a facility for converting Grid references to
Post Codes and vice-versa.
- Contains around 85,000 historical map images dated from 1846
- 1899, scale 1:10,560, searchable by county and current place name.
- Travel advice on different countries.
- Currency conversions
BT Directory Enquiries
- UK telephone directory.
- Directory of hotels and guesthouses around the UK.
- Useful information for travellers to destinations all over the
world. Includes history, economy, culture, events, money and costs,
when to go, where to go, getting there and getting around, recommended
reading, travellers' reports and links to sites for each country.
OS Grid References
- A fun way of learning how to use OS Grid References.
Using a compass
- How to use a compass with Simon King and Ordnance Survey.
RA Walks Finder database
- This is a national database of walks run by Ramblers groups
all over the country. It is accessible through the RA website at:
The database enables
you to search for walks in a particular area and specify parameters
such as distance, difficulty, dates, etc. Walks information is added
by individual groups, but at present not all groups contribute data.
- Milton Keynes Boundary
Milton Keynes Boundary Walk is approximately 60 miles long and uses
A new Waymarker has been placed along the route. When you see
the Oakleaf symbol just follow the direction of the arrow on the
- Happy Hiker
- Enthusiast's personal web site with a variety of useful information
on walking matters and equipment plus a selection of walks, mainly
in the North of the country.
- GPS Cycle and Walking Routes
- Walking routes covering all of the UK's National Trails - over 2500 miles of walking to enjoy.
- Walking, trekking, cross-country skiing and sight-seeing holidays
around the world.
- HF Holidays has been the Ramblers recommended walking holiday partner since Oct 2011.
Association is a company limited by guarantee, registered in England
and Wales. Company registration number: 4458492.
Registered Charity in
England and Wales number: 1093577, registered charity in Scotland number:
Registered office: 2nd floor, Camelford House, 87-90 Albert
Embankment, London SE1 7TW.